We all have weaknesses...
One of the things about putting yourself up in front of the world posting workouts etc... is that your weaknesses are part of you and will come out - in front of the world. Most hide from this and only want to show the "strong side" of themselves. I try to be as open as I can be about where I am weak etc...and Rif's post the other day showing the dumbell bench as a great assistance exercise for the bench press revealed one of mine.
Since my training has been a bit scattered and I train on my own (getting lift offs from people at the gym), I figured the DB bench was just the ticket. And it is.
At one of the places I work the DBs only go up to 85# - and since I have hit the 100# DBs for sets of 3 before I figured a 5x5 type approach with the 85's should be great. Well it didn't turn out quite that way.
DB bench 85# x 5, 5, 4
Stopped cold at the 4 th rep of the third set!
(that's 11 reps short for those of you counting at home)
Turns out I found a weak spot that should allow me to progress my PL bench (no wonder I have been bumping my head against the same spot and not increasing my bench! I'm weak!)
Sounds like Westside - doesn't it? Yes but I "maxed" out my target exercise before I am going to a "special" exercise so it is my twist on the Westside "train your weaknesses" philosophy.
And I am still working on my form for the flat bench etc...
So I will be pushing the DB bench for the next three - four weeks and then a back off week and then the PL meet. Thanks Rif.
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2013 (52)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- Trip down memory lane... I decided to take a look...
- Fun Fun Fun stuff... Decided to hit a quick sessi...
- We all have weaknesses... One of the things about...
- Rules or Absolutism vs. Freedom... (Yes I was a R...
- Quick training today: Squats: 405 x 1, 455 x 1, 4...
- Monday Rant - (i could get used to this)... The S...
- Quick one today: 28kg KB Arm bar + Get-up x 5 r+L...
- A couple of rants for the day... I don't usually ...
- Training 2/20/08 Squats 405 x 1, 455 x 1, 405 x 1...
- A visit to the Rifstonian Institute and the San Jo...
- On the Road Again... Headed off to San Jose tomor...
- Training today... Squats - 405 x 2, 445 x 2, 495 ...
- Training today: Band Squats 245 x 3, 3, 3 (doubl...
- Quick one today... Sneaking workouts in - loads o...
- Training today and Jet lag... Hit the gym this af...
- ▼ February (15)
- ► 2007 (201)