Movements not Muscles...
Why do the knees "cave in" during the squat?
Is it the adductors (groin) muscles? Is it the glute medius? What and why?
Some will say adductors, some will say Glute medius - I say yes/no and don't worry about it...
Here is my answer to someone with this very question...and my response to the recommendation of adductor strengthening to fix the cave in of the knees...
"...the adductors are also considered the "4th" hamstring and function as a hip extensor as well but to say that an aDductor functions as a hip aBductor is interesting to say the least - and/but muscle "function" is dependent on joint angle so in the grand scheme of things who knows.
What we do know is that your knees are caving in so lets focus on the movement and not the "muscles."
The "Fix"- have your training partner place their hands on the outside of your lower leg (just below the knee) and while performing a squat (bodyweight or goblet squat NOT a PL squat) have them apply pressure inward - you will need to apply pressure outward to keep the knees in alignment on the way down and on the way up.
Important - the pressure applied inward by your partner is enough pressure to cause you to have to press out NOT enough to injure you.
Also hit some outside toe pulls to get the glute medius firing better before the partner drill."
In the FMS we use something called Reactive Neuromuscular Training and this is an example of that and "feeding the mistake" to fix a faulty movement pattern and you will note some Z Health thrown in as well (the outside toe pull - don't know what it is? Click the link on the right and find out).
On a rare Nutrition note - check out this little article on "belly busting beverages"...
Watch those liquid calories!
32kg Get-up x 3+3
32kg Halo x 3+3
32kg Goblet Squat x 3
32kg Alternating Swings x 20 + 10 Burpees x 5 sets in 9:30
24kg Alternating Swings x 20 + 10 Burpees x 5 sets
Total time for all 10 sets = 21:50
Tough one - this has become one of my favorite workouts. Simple and brutal.
- ► 2018 (42)
- ► 2017 (56)
- ► 2016 (50)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2013 (52)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- Training 5/29/08 - That's more like it... Prep wo...
- Movements not Muscles... Why do the knees "cave i...
- 5/23/08 - Light Training and Research from Eric Cr...
- Training 5/21/08: Prep - ASLR Thoracic Rotation 2...
- Training for Life from the blog of Mark Rifkeind ...
- Back from Amsterdam.... I am back from Amsterdam a...
- Travel, Training, and Thoughts.... (had to reach ...
- Training 5-08-08: Pull-up + 24# x 5, 5, 5, 5 Box ...
- Training 5-6-08: Pull-ups + 45# x 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 B...
- May 2 - Training... Pull-ups + 25# x 5, 4, 3, 2, ...
- Keeping it light and Happy... Easy training and a...
- ▼ May (11)
- ► 2007 (201)