VFFs, GPS and Training...
Today we take GPS and exact location for granted. Punch in an address into a GPS unit or Navigation system (cell phone or other) and BAM - your exact location is pinpointed and directions to your destination are quickly calculated.
Now imagine a time when your exact location is determined by the phase of the moon and enough calculation to make a NASA engineer sweat and you have the background for Dava Sobel's book - "Longitude". (amazon.com)
Yes - there was a time where England offered a huge reward for the development of a reliable method of calculating the Longitude for sea travel. The word Chronometer came out of this search as did many of the advancements that we take for granted in our portable time keepers (aka...watches or chronometers as they were once known).
Check it out for a quick but informative and entertaining read.
What does this have to do with training?
Glad you asked...
I am going to be putting my training in the hands of Geoff Neupert for the next six weeks.
At this time in my life I am too distracted by work and other obligations and need to just sit back and "Do what Geoff said to do..." (as Dan John would say - his book btw is excellent and I will be blogging on that soon)
Geoff has calculated the "longitude" and I can sit back and follow directions and end up at my destination. My training will be "underground" for the next few weeks but this will force me to blog on more interesting subjects.
VFFs or Vibram Five Fingers shoes are working very well for me - part of my training today was a 1 mile jog on the treadmill (yes I hate treadmills but decided that was preferable to the concrete at this time) at 6 mph (or 10 minute mile pace). And lo-and-behold my calves were firing and will more than likely be pretty sore tomorrow.
So training today looked like:
Prep- ALSR, Brettzel, the Pump
32 kg Get-up x 2 singles right and left
Jog one mile in VFFs
Ballet Heel Raise x 20, 20
1/2 hour stretch class
- ► 2017 (48)
- ► 2016 (50)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2013 (52)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- The Program Continues... Today was Day 1 of Week 2...
- Two words... Hill Sprints! Friday was day 3 of the...
- Quick training today... Up and working out by 5:30...
- VFFs, GPS and Training... Today we take GPS and e...
- A little Contest... I am hosting an RKC prep cours...
- Secret Foot and Ankle Exercise... This is the ...
- Kettlebell Secrets Interview tonight... Tonight at...
- Combo training today... Prep work - Z, ASLR, Brett...
- Brett Jones is teaching a total RKC Prep Course in...
- Quick Bodyweight Circuit today... Quick prep and t...
- Good Article from Aaron S's blog... Running Shoes...
- Back from CK-FMS... More later but a couple of ...
- ▼ June (12)
- ► 2008 (151)
- ► 2007 (201)