One holiday down - One to go...
New Years is around the corner and you know what that means - New Years Resolutions and a much more crowded gym! (For about 4-6 weeks that is...)
Have you made a "New Years Resolution" ever - or at least in the past few years?
I know I haven't - my goals are set and in motion long before and long after New Years.
Now - If New Years is the trigger for change - so be it - embrace it and run with it!
But if the gym is any indication of New Years as a "trigger for change" - the change is short lived. Why is this?
Why are the gyms crowded for a few weeks and then you are back to the same crowd of regulars? (Maybe a couple of new additions but a net of zero more than likely)
Why? Undefined goals and a lack of need
Undefined goals - Getting in shape is not a goal - It is an idea.
An idea is a starting point not a goal. Getting in shape - what does that mean?
Round is a shape - as the joke goes so it fits with the "goal" of getting in shape.
In shape for what? For sitting watching TV - well I would argue that most people are already well "trained" for that.
So if we are going to be serious about "getting in shape" - we will need to be far more specific.
Imagine running a business where you goal was to "make money". Great idea but a bit short from goals you can actually work with.
A lack of need - There has to a personal level of signifcance reached before change can occur. Want to - is a reason for visiting a store or a restraunt or buying a pair of shoes. Most people never make it past want to. Need to is a whole other level of significance. Need to is the difference between success and failure.
I will be expanding on this tomorrow but lets just close with the idea that need can be created and used.
So as we approach this new year - do you have any goals you are looking to make into "New Years Resolutions"? If so - Is the goal definable beyond an idea and is there a Need for this goal to come to fruition?
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- ► 2008 (151)
- ► 2007 (201)
- Want vs. Need Mean what you say and say what you ...
- Another side of Need... What do you need to "work...
- Need - What is it and how does it effect our goals...
- One holiday down - One to go... New Years is arou...
- Another Holiday Season... Yet another Holiday Sea...
- What is strong? Yesterdays blog referenced the id...
- Squat cycle Day 2 and "Walking around strong"... ...
- Card tearing and the start of a squat cycle... Su...
- Coming back from an injury... If you suffered thr...
- Back from the AAU meet in Las Vegas... A pretty g...
- Off to Las Vegas to compete in the AAU meet... I ...
- If you do end up injured... Due to competition or...
- A word on injuries... They shouldn't happen in tr...
- When life hands you lemons... Learn to make Lemon...
- Yoga weekend and a day of training... Completed a...
- A little bit of yoga today... As a tune up for wh...
- Doing better... Better diet but training has been...
- Did some bending and discovered a new grip tool......
- Another travel story... Lost luggage, delays and ...
- Bench press observations from yesterday... A curr...
- ▼ December (20)