If I hear this one more time I will scream!!!!
"Since muscle weighs more than fat..." And this is from an MSN article today and that is a quote from an Exercise Physiologist and PROFESSOR at a major university saying it!!!!! It was an article related to the Body Mass Index and how it doesn't take muscle vs. fat into account since it is a height/weight chart. (more on that in a moment)
Which weighs more a pound of lead or a pound of feathers? Anyone - Anyone - Bueller????
They both weigh a POUND!
One is far denser and therefore it takes less of it to make a pound but a pound = a pound regardless of the size of it. In the case of muscle vs. fat - muscle takes up about 5x less space than fat - pound per pound.
I cannot believe that a supposedly educated individual would say something like that in a public manner. It makes me want to scream!
On the BMI - I guess height and weight charts (the ones taken from the old insurance charts) were losing their impact so they decided to repackage the information in the form of a calculation. Requiring thought and calculators must have seemed like a way to have people take their weight more seriously. But height and weight charts will never be an accurate way to assess someone's body composition or "ideal" weight. Muscle makes a difference and you cannot tell me that Tyra Banks looks anything other than awesome! She looks real and looks great - regardless of that BMI.
Want to have an idea of how you are doing - Measure you waist right around the belly button (umbilicus for the latin speakers in the crowd) - Go a step further and measure your hips and calculate your waist to hips ratio.
Is it where you want to be?
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- ► 2008 (151)
- Couple of good blogs to check out... Randy Hauer ...
- Today's training and observations... Squat 405 x ...
- How much can you train? As much as you deserve to...
- My fortune tonight... Had a bit of Chinese food f...
- A small PR today: Went to the gym today to do som...
- Feeling good and finding more reasons to love my f...
- Training observations of late... Weight, thoracol...
- Quick update and then out for the weekend.... Hea...
- Foam roller... It has taken me quite some time to...
- The Mobility vs. Stability trail... Michael Boyle...
- If I hear this one more time I will scream!!!! "S...
- If you haven't been over the Rif's blog - rifsblog...
- First day off in over a month... First real day o...
- On the road again... Getting ready to hit the roa...
- Good article over on T-nation... Christian Thibau...
- "I think I'll test myself today..." If you are pl...
- Training mistakes... Post today on the DD forum a...
- Recent readings... "The Life and Times of the Thu...
- Full Circle...another old post from the DD forum.....
- ▼ February (19)