Function of the Core....
Geoff Neupert proposed this for the function of the core: 1. Produce non-compressible cyclinder to protect the spine against external load; 2. TRANSMIT force via rotation, etc.
I countered with the idea that I feel the job of the core is to prevent rotation/movement not produce movement.
Then Geoff and I spent some time on the phone and discovered that we were a lot closer on things than these two statements would appear.
When you get into a debate of semantics and internet one dimensional statements a lot can get lost in the process.
Geoff pointed out that the lumbar spine can and should rotate as it is designed to do and should do as a part of normal movement. And I agree (except under load - which we both agreed to) But it should not move beyond those norms and should be a part of the power, movement, and transition of energy from the hips. Very rarely are we in a situation where the spine should "create" movement independent from the hips.
Maintaining "long spine" (it really isn't any more complicated than it sounds - pretend there is a string through your spine out the top of your head and someone is trying to pick you up by the string) is a key we both felt was very important to core activation and function.
So we ended up being far closer and agreeing on this but if you look at the internet conversation it appears different.
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- ► 2008 (151)
- Core - continued... Gentlemen - i hope you don't ...
- Training today - 7-30... Squats w/ doubled monste...
- Training today - Squats - 465 x 3 (belt only), 4...
- Function of the Core.... Geoff Neupert proposed t...
- Continuing the discussion... Rick and Geoff (I w...
- Squats Good - Bench Bad... Squats - 425 x 5 (belt...
- A follow up to the Michael Boyle article... Afte...
- Great Michael Boyle article over at T-nation... h...
- Training today.... Squats 425 x 4 (belt only), 44...
- A new email address: In an effort to simplify my ...
- Video of 475 x 2 Squats with belt only - f...
- Just a bit to think about: Life is not a zero sum...
- Here is a quick picture of Kentuck Knob - another ...
- Squats and 3 hours sleep... Due to some neighbors...
- Happy Independence Day!! Enjoy the 4th of July - ...
- Training Yesterday and Today and something new... ...
- ▼ July (16)