Wednesday, December 08, 2010


Fighting Jet Lag and some training...

One of the difficult things about international travel is the jet lag from time zone changes and traveling to Hungary means that when I wake up at 6 am in Hungary it is Midnight at home in PA. So in an effort to combat this I tried some advice from Peter Lakatos to fast for at least 16 hours for the trip home. Meaning you calculate your arrival time/first meal on arrival and go back 16 hours in "real time" to begin your fasting. I ended up fasting for a full 24 hours + a bit.
And I will have to say that I am impressed.
Combined with the fasting and a good 12 hours of sleep Monday night my recovery from the trip has been quite good.

Eat - Stop - Eat a book by Brad Pilon goes into the details of Intermittent Fasting:

Since I have had my first IF day Sunday night till Monday dinner I think I will simply add a second day this week and get started - we shall see...

2 Upcoming workshops

HKC Alexandria Va

CICS Workshop

I am extremely excited to teach this years CICS workshop passing on the method of Club Swinging taught by Dr. Thomas.


A very good training session - 12/8
Prep - Foam Roller, ASLR, Brettzel, Brettzel 2.0
Indian Club Swinging 1# clubs
Open 1/2 kneeling Movements #1 and #2 with one club
Tall kneeling Movements #1 and #2 with 2 clubs
Standing movement #3
Open 1/2 kneeling Movements #1 and #2 with 2 clubs
Standing movement #3
and a variety of other Movements

24 kg SLDL x 5+5, 5+5
24 kg Get-up x 2 singles L+R
press at each step on the way up with Windmill at the top
24 kg Alternating Swings x 20, 20, 20
Stretch

Indian Clubs felt great - powerful tools and powerful system
The KB work was essentially performed to Pavel's famous "comfortable stop"
Feeling great

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Brett, I see you are really fond of SLDL and you are doing what you are teaching! :) I'm happy you recovered so fast! Once more thank you for the weekend, I still can't decide what was best: the tremendous ammount of info or your personality and humor. Anyway I enjoyed it immensely.

Unknown said...

Hey Brett
Quick question regarding pressing the kb at every phase of TGU? Do you perform press when you're in hip bridge too? I'm fairly strong and mobile in TGU. What KB weight (% of max) would you use for presses at each phase of the TGU?
Thank you Zach

Brett Jones said...

Thank you Peter - it was a great group and an honor to be there working with you all.
SLDLs are important to be sure

Zach
Start light and easy for trying the presses at each step - one of them might reveal a difficult position for you.
If 24 kg is a moderate TGU weight then go with the 16 kg for a light and easy starting point.

Mark Reifkind said...

great advice as I will be doing a bit of international traveling next year and already do WD.jet lag sucks big time.

Brett Jones said...

Rif
There is some actual research behind it (formula 1 racers etc) Peter Lakatos has the info I think.
I suspect that consistent "fasting" a la WD might mitigate the impact of the fast for jet lag.

jockeRKC said...

I ordered the eatstopeat e-book and read it, i am starting on it today.
So let see how i lokk when we meet in March

jockeRKC said...

I got the book and read it so i am all ready on it Mr Jones :)
Lets see how i look in March when we meet up again.

Brett Jones said...

Looking forward to it Joakim!

About Me

My photo
Personal Trainer and Strength Enthusiast Email: appliedstrength@gmail.com

Blog Archive