Run your numbers...
Pavel has a line in Power to the People that "...intensity is not a turned around baseball cap (points for the movie reference) - it is a mathmatical formula (% of your 1 rep max - or rep max)". So I decided to sit down and run my numbers:
1 rm = 320
70% = 225
75% = 240
80% = 256
85% = 272
90% = 288
95% = 305
1 rm = 500
70% = 350
75% = 375
80% = 400
85% = 425
90% = 450
95% = 475
1 rm = 560
70% = 392
75% = 420
80% = 448
85% = 476
90% = 504
95% = 532
What does all of this mean? That I spend a lot of time at some pretty high percentages. I don't even consider reps below 495 to be worthwhile with my deadlift and I always want to be over 405 in my squat and I work my bench at high %s.
Time to get back to the grand old cycling method and work from low to high on the percentages and high (for me) to low on the volume. This is layed out in very clear detail in Coan's book - classic cycling based on peaking for a meet.
The squat cycle I have planned will take care of the squat and I have a deadlift plan as well and the bench will be restructured to fit.
Stepping back and looking at the numbers instead of perceived exertion is necessary.
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- ► 2008 (151)
- Off to the AFPA conference in Ocean City, MD Leav...
- Training today: Squat w/ doubled over mini bands ...
- Training today - Upper Bench Raw - build up to 2...
- Todays training - Squats Squats 455 x 2,2,2 405 ...
- From Alwyn's blog yesterday - By Mike Robertson ...
- Quick extra note: Check out Alwyn Cosgrove's blog...
- Todays training - Bench Bench with doubled mini b...
- Training today: Squats w/ doubled over mini-bands...
- Wanted to re-post this here so it can be a handy r...
- Bench Shirt work today - very interesting... Benc...
- Squats today: Felt pretty good today - in my groo...
- Run your numbers... Pavel has a line in Power to...
- Continuing to recover... Very light stretching an...
- Todays training...or...Listen better.... Todays t...
- The sky is falling...or...My joints are doomed... ...
- Alwyn Cosgrove on t-nation.com Alwyn has put toge...
- Training today - bands and a PR... Bench with dou...
- Training Today: Some days are better than others ...
- Got my Jumpstretch bands today - And decided to ...
- A post on the dragondoor.com forum from today: Th...
- Upper body today: Bench 225 x 5,5,5,5,5 Pull-up -...
- Squats today: Went to the gym feeling the need to...
- Further squat thoughts from the PL meet... I nee...
- My first full PL meet and MANY lessons learned... ...
- ▼ April (24)