Thursday, April 12, 2007

Todays training...or...Listen better....

Todays training should not have happened.
Squats - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 365 x 4, 405 x 2, 455 x 0 - set up for some band squats with 315 and decided better and packed it in and went home - at least my groove felt better.

I should have listened to my body and recognized that my PR set of 5 on the deadlift + grip demo + squats on Monday + last weeks training + coming off of two meets in a row + the addition of jumpstretch bands to my training + increasing my volume on squats and bench to 10 sets or so on some days should have equaled a few days off or at least some 70% work with low volume.

Note to self - Re-read "Easy Strength" from PTPM #2 and apply it to yourself - not just your clients!

So for now - I will be resting until Monday and will be performing some 70% work for the next couple of weeks and sets of KB swings. Then I start my big travel weeks and will be squeezing in workouts when I can and by the end of that I have my next squat cycle scheduled to start in late May.

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

Brett,

as we spoke about, one only gets so many workouts above 90% max in the same lift before it starts going backwards.THis applies to everyone, including superstrong,stubborn SR RKC's,lol.

Joe Sarti said...

Nice to know you are human...lol! I really appreciate your insight and honesty as well the education one can receive from reading your posts.

thank you

Brett Jones said...

Rif,
First thing I thought of when the workout really went south - "the next step off of a peak is down..."
Got Coan's book by Marty G - Awesome!

Thanks Joe - I just keep on training and learning - looks like your training is going very well.

About Me

My photo
Personal Trainer and Strength Enthusiast Email: appliedstrength@gmail.com

Blog Archive