Here is a link to a Time Magazine article about experience and performance:
It seems that the 10 year "rule" for becoming an expert in a field and years of experience are not reliable indicators of proficiency. This flies in the face of conventional wisdom of "earning" mastery over years of work. What does assist in mastery and proficiency? Accurate feedback on performance - in other words - we all need a feedback and information system to keep progressing.
Honest, Critical evaluation of performance is a good thing - not something to be avoided because of ego and fear of "hurting feelings." It needs to constructive and appropriate.
Do you get feedback? and Do you listen to it?
Lou Schuler has a great blog today on the need for "power" training. (See the link on the left)
Quoting Mark Verstagen:
Power is the ability to exert great force in a short period of time and results in being able to move quickly and explosively, says Mark Verstegen, founder of Athletes' Performance in Tempe, Ariz. His facility specializes in training competitive athletes, teaching them, among other things, to accelerate and change direction quickly. That ability is developed by lifting weights rapidly and helps athletes move more explosively during games and other competitions.
In short, it's weight training at high speeds.
"Think of strength as dial-up Internet; it serves a great purpose but is slower to boot up when you need it most," he says. "Power is your high-speed broadband connection, ready to be used instantly on demand."
Kettlebells anyone???? KBs are real world "power" training.
Are you swinging for power?
- Applied Strength Products
- Geoff Neupert's blog
- Russ D's Blog
- Rifs Blog
- Dr. Mark Cheng's Blog
- David Whitley
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Jedd Johnson's Blog
- Dan Cenidoza
- Gaby's Blog
- Rita's RKC blog (Hungary)
- Aaron Schwenzfeier's blog
- Rannoch Donald
- Squat RX blog
- Lou Schuler's Blog
- Mark Sisson's blog
- Aaron Friday's Blog
- Doug Nepodal
- Fawn Friday's blog
- Franz's Blog
- Google News
- Joe Sarti's blog
- Tim Anderson's blog
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2010 (110)
- ► 2009 (156)
- A Request... I don't often ask for or request thi...
- "You Walk Wrong..." Great NYMag.com article http:...
- BMF training today... BMF: coined by David Whitle...
- Quick training today... Prep work - Z 24kg Bottom...
- Travel and Upcoming Seminars... One Week out from...
- Observation for the day and Training for today... ...
- Article with some great information... Christian ...
- Snatch training... Prep work - Cook hip lift, ASL...
- Sunday training... Prep work - cook hip lift, ASL...
- Heavy day Training... Prep Work - Cook hip lift, ...
- Why... Why is a starting point. A question that c...
- Training today and disclosure... Prep-work - Cook...
- Interesting stuff... Here is a link to a Time Mag...
- KB Training Today: All with 24 KG KB... Low Wind...
- KB Training today: All with 24kg KB: Windmill x 5...
- A Training decision and the Three month plan... I...
- Kettlebell article on Dragondoor.com Here is a KB...
- Upcoming Workshop... I am headed back over to Ams...
- Crunches are not Core training... I'll keep harpi...
- ▼ April (19)
- ► 2007 (201)