Friday, March 20, 2009

Two days of learning from one of the Masters...

I just spent the past two days learning from Dr. Ed Thomas.  Dr. Thomas does not speak publicly often but when he does you would be very wise to take the time to listen.  Dr. Thomas is an exercise historian, Physical education teacher/historian and a wealth of fitness wisdom and knowledge.
Gray Cook arranged for the FMS team to have this opportunity and we all learned a great deal during the two days.  We studied breathing, Indian Clubs, Inversion, the ergonomics of sitting and the history of physical education and the switch over to sport and games.  In short it was a crash course through history and exercise.  I will be digesting this information and seeking mastery in some of the techniques for a lifetime.  

Thank you Dr. Thomas for taking the time to share your knowledge.

So over the past few days I have practiced my breathing, learned the beginning of Indian Club swinging, Been turned upside down and had a great deal of mental exercise.  That is my training over the past few days.
I also tore several decks of cards - 2 behind the back, several quartered halves, couple of regular tears, and one duct tape tear.
Now I am off to West Virginia to teach a day and half FMS and a half day of KBs.
Home Sunday night and off to work for 6 am client on Monday ;-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I SOOO wish I could have been there with you guys. Looking forward to the debrief, Sir.

SG Human Performance said...

Very cool. Is that the same gentleman from the Kalos Sthenos DVD? What did you think of the indian clubs?

Mark Reifkind said...

Brett,

Ed was my Resident assistant when I was Univ of Iowa. I spent a great deal of time with the guy, back when he was very much into bodybuilding. small world.

Mike T Nelson said...

Very cool stuff! I am excited to hear more about it!

Another guy that is an amazing physical culture historian is Randy Roach.

Rock on!
Mike N

Brett Jones said...

Dr.
You were missed - be talking to you.

Thanks Mark - it is the gentleman from the Kalos Sthenos DVD. The Indian Clubs are really good - mobility and movement skill.

Mark - Too cool - I'll have to let him know - small world indeed.

Thanks Mike - I'll have to look into Randy Roach.

About Me

My photo
Personal Trainer and Strength Enthusiast Email: appliedstrength@gmail.com

Blog Archive